Aged Blind Or Disabled (ABD)
The South Carolina General assembly required the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to expand Medicaid coverage to individuals who are aged, blind or disabled with income at or below 100% of the Federal Poverty Level.
A person who may qualify for ABD:
- Is aged (65 or older), blind or totally and permanently disabled;
- Has countable income below 100 percent of poverty ($931 for an individual and $1,261 for a couple); and
- Has countable resources below $6,940 for an individual and $10,410 for a couple.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) resource and income policy will be used to determine eligibility with the following exceptions:
- In-kind support and maintenance are not counted as income; and
- The value of a home, household goods and personal effects, one (1) motor vehicle, life estate interest in property and undivided interest in heirs' property are not counted as resources.
People who are eligible will receive the full range of Medicaid services.Get an Application
Applications may be obtained from the Department of Health and Human Services or from out-stationed locations such as the County Health Departments, federally qualified rural health centers, most hospitals and the county Department of Social Services. Applications for Medicaid may be filed in person or by mail.